A system-agnostic RPG book on real-world magical plants.
An all-in-one book for druids, healers, alchemists, and poisoners – perfect as an in-world item and applicable in all fantasy settings.
A useful resource for game masters everywhere, complete with tools for including the plants in heir campaigns – and creating new, exciting pieces of flora.
What is Herbalist’s Primer?
A well researched, comprehensive guide to real-world plants and their medicinal, magical, and occult properties, professionally laid out for your convenience, fully illustrated, with tons of ethnobotany, chemistry, and occult lore splayed over 300+ pages.
At least that’s the plan. At the moment it’s two pages and a giant pile of research, and hours upon hours of love for the subject.
So what is it supposed to be?
Herbalist’s Primer is going to be a book. A physical one, once I get it written, illustrated, and (hopefully!) kickstarted. In short:
- 100 illustrated, detailed description of magically-useful plants;
- chapters on botany, herb gathering, preparation, basics of alchemy, antidotes, and more;
- recipes for all kinds of magical and medicinal concoctions, written in-world and in accordance with occult lore of the ages past (mix aconite with animal fat, then rub it on a broom handle for an excellent flying experience!);
- tools for creating custom magical plants and a botanical Latin primer to give your custom plants a semi-proper scientific name;
- index, table of contents, references, bibliography – everything you’d expect from a scientific publication that will make your wizard’s nerdy mouth water.
You’ve mentioned pictures…?
I did! The whole book will be illustrated by yours truly, in a classic style known from botanical textbooks and herbals of previous centuries. I’m basically talking this:
A hundred of those. Hand-painted and made just for you. And everybody else who will pick up the book.
Where do I throw the money at?
Here’s the thing: It is a fresh project – I had it in mind for a while but I never expected the amount of interest it’s going to create when I put the layout sample online. Alas, here we are.
You can support the project through Patreon, unlocking access to all the illustrated spreads, lore chapters, and art as soon as it’s done – and helping us focus on writing and painting instead of working on other people’s projects. It’s a win-win situation: we get to work on the thing we love, you get to have it sooner in your hands.