Project Aphelion, the biggest ever undertaking by Double Proficiency, is now live – check out the new website and a unique TTRPG strategy experience.
For the last couple of years, Jakub and I have been working on Project Aphelion: a multi-branched tabletop RPG project focusing on what we like best: player agency, competent characters, freedom of choice, and low-prep GMing.
You’ve seen us talk bits and bobs about the project:
- we introduced Aphelion Toolkit,
- talked to you about the lore of Aurorae,
- ran a loooong playtest of Aphelion as a solo game,
- and dropped some lore & mechanics for the sci-fi setting.
And now it’s time to spill the beans.
What is Project Aphelion?
Project Aphelion is a multi-branched tabletop RPG project by Double Proficiency.
Designed to make life easy for all players (game masters included!), Project Aphelion introduces:
- easy-to-grasp mechanics with endless modability,
- a self-balancing game algorithm with focus on player agency,
- a choose-your-own-adventure group character generation,
- a system of cards to keep the game flowing without digging in the rulebook,
- several game modes (with or without a GM, solo, or as a strategy board game),
- a unique system for creating scenarios and campaigns with minimal preparation time!
The whole project is more than just a bunch of rules! Within it, we’re planning to release:
- Aphelion Toolkit: a stand-alone book with all base game rules, full of flowcharts, guides, algorithms, and tooltips for creating the best gaming experience,
- Settings: a heist & strategy sci-fi Aphelion and a survival & exploration game of cosmic horror and wonder, Aurorae.
- Fiction: the first novel set in the world of Aphelion, Incitatus, is soon going to be available for preorders! More to come!